Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Ventilator Acquired Pneumonia (VAP)

As the task force unfolds, I realize now that I have to do a presentation on this lovely problem. I am nervous and less comfortable talking to people in large groups. So, I especially need your prayers on May 9th, when I speak at the hospital's "Research and Evidence Based Practice" Day.

Since I am the one who seems to take VAP very seriously and now the hospital seems to care, I am thrust into the arena of defending this problem and what we in the Medical Intensive Care Unit intend to do about it.

So busy I am with studying for the Critical Care Registered Nurse Certification and preparing for family vacations, and not to mention my second job at instructor at the University, my plate is full. What is one more thing?

Just in case anyone was wondering... VAP is a pneumonia a patient acquires whilest they are on the ventilator. Average cost of each incidence is $150K not to mention loss of precious human life.

Gosh, I just love my job. I really do.

No comments: